Jordan's profile picture

Jordan's profile picture
Sister Frost

Monday, February 24, 2014

New Caledonia, week 1

Hello! So it's a bit difficult for me to type, simply because these keyboards are...well...French. So some of the keys are in different places. But success number one, I found the apostrophe key!

So my are is Dumbea sur Mer, and it's really pretty. My companion/trainer is Sister Raney, and we get along really well, she's teaching me all kinds of things (I even are sushi when she made it - no, there was no fish in it, Mom, that hasn't happened yet).

When we arrived in Fiji to transfer to Vanuatu, we were joined by four other new missionaries from the New Zealand MTC. Vanuatu was super hot with a LOT of humidity, it was a lot of fun to be there though! I was there for a few days, so President Brewer (mission president for that area) assigned me to the sister training leaders there in Port Vila until I left for New Caledonia. It was really interesting to see how things work there, it is just a completely different culture there. And Bislama is a cool language! It's pretty much the Haitian-Creole of English. It was cool to hear it spoken and I could understand most of it, but not all of it.

We went to the airport to leave on Friday (me and two elders who came ere to NC as well) and ended up being there for somewhere around 4 hours. They ended up canceling our flight several hours after it was supposed to leave and rescheduling for Saturday, and although it left 30 minutes late (which is about as close to on time as it gets with Air Vanuatu, apparently), we did get here! It's much less humid here, but still pretty hot, not that I mind!

Our apartment is HUGE! We even have air conditioning in the bedrooms, which I'm told not everyone has in our zone. So since my comp and I are both new to this area, and we don't have a car, we managed to get ourselves lost for a little while yesterday...twice, for a few hours... We got a lesson to teach this week out of it though, so at least it was productive??

I just happen to have come here at exactly the right time, because tomorrow, Elder Anderson is going to be here! We have a meeting with him, just the missionaries, and that evening, everyone is invited to we him speak. We've invited our investigators to come in the evening with us, and everyone is super excited about it.

Well, that's about it. I love you all!!!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment